Sunday, May 26, 2013

Recent Buy: Isabel Marant Dicker boots in Anthracite


For years I dismissed the Isabel Marant Dicker boots for myself because they were suede. Having owned an off-white Paco Rabanne suede bag, I know how impossible it is to keep it clean.  After that bag, I practically never bought suede again, that is, until my Isabel Marant Bobby sneakers...I had read how very comfortable the Dicker boots were, and when they were released in leather, I thought: woo hoo! But somehow, they don't quite look the same in leather, I think something about the different shades of suede, and the matte finish, make the suede boots more versatile.  So, in my pursuit for a grey/gris pair (or even taupe maybe), I came across the anthracite, and caved...
pics via my iPhone

Isabel Marant Dicker boots in Anthracite available here (also available here, here, here and here)

Now that they've arrived, my pursuit for a grey/gris pair is stronger than ever, I tried these on with a big pile of clothes, and it goes with practically everything! And, it's most likely certainly the way my mirror is angled (it's a full-size mirror which leans against my wall, so at a slight angle), but my legs didn't look as short and stumpy as I thought it would.

I tracked down a grey pair in London (boo hoo, still very sad about Matches Fashion selling out), but the store wants to charge me the full amount (VAT inclusive), and said they could send me the VAT form to try to claim my VAT back.  Has anyone done this before? I've always had stores remove the VAT, and would love to hear anyone's experience regarding this!

TIA!


6 comments:

  1. That's so weird! It is a very clunky way of extracting VAT off the price. Are you doing a phone order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am. Have never done one from the UK before. They don't have an online store (I signed up to be notified when it opens, but now I wonder if they plan to ship internationally, 'cause they should have the VAT thing sorted by then!). Really would like the VAT off! :S

      xx

      Delete
  2. the shop is not familiar with the procedure. the vat should only be deducted by yourself if the item is not directly shipped overseas. so that when you leave the country you can claim the vat on the airport. however if the vat is shipped directly overseas it should be deducted by the company. Please advice them to contact their accountant to confirm this procedure. I had a similar case happen to me, saying i could claim the tax in Australia once it got shipped here. But it was impossible to do something from here, as it need to be done in the country you bought the item, so i contacted them again and after they had contact their accountant the vat was transferred to my account.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reply anonymous! That is what I thought, and sent them a few links from websites that had such information, don't know if they'll understand what's involved. I will try asking them to contact their accountant. Hopefully they don't get fed up by the whole process required and sell the shoes to somewhere else :)

      Delete
  3. Those are gorgeous! I love the colour. I had exactly the same reservations when I bought my taupe pair but they are still going strong and looking great.

    Regarding the VAT... They are actually not allowed to charge VAT on any item being shipped outside the EU (it doesn't matter if it is bought over the phone or online). If you buy it by going into a physical store in the EU (on holidays) and are going home (outside the EU), you will pay the full price of the item in the store normally (including VAT) and claim the VAT back at the airport. If they are shipping to you directly (outside the EU), it is against the law for them to charge the VAT and I believe this get investigated quite a lot. I'm fairly sure there is a commission set up to invesitgate companies that charge VAT when they are not supposed to. Check this site out for some more advice http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. Seems the store won't budge, they say they're not 'set up' to refund VAT, and can only send me a form. I had forwarded them links to the HMRC website, but that did not help. Ah well, at least I tried. Funny thing is I will be staying a couple of blocks away from this store in a month's time! Doubt those shoes will still be there by then...

      Delete